Have a home gardening question? Ask the UC San Joaquin Master Gardeners! Our Help Desk is staffed Monday-Thursday 9 a.m.-Noon.
- Visit us during Help Desk hours at 2102 E Earhart Ave, Ste 200 Stockton, 95206. Click here for a map
- Call us at (209) 953-6112. If you call outside Help Desk hours, please leave both your phone number and email address so that we may respond to you in a timely manner.
- Email us at email@example.com. Please use email if you want to submit photos along with your question(s).
- Your name, phone number and city (very important!).
- A description of the problem, including name of the plant if applicable, when the problem began, and cultural history such as watering, fertilizing, pruning, pesticides, etc.
- Photographs of the problem, if possible and appropriate.
Bringing samples to the Master Gardener Office
For plant samples brought into the office:
The sample should be freshly acquired and just packaged in clear freezer bag--not put in a bag, left to mold for a week, and then brought in. Store in the refrigerator until you are able to bring it in.
A good size sample is required, showing leaves, bark, stem and flower, if applicable.
Try to have a section of "good" plant as well as the problem.
Write the name of the plant (if known) as well as your contact information on the bag.
For insect samples:
Do not tape an insect to a piece of paper. We can not identify insects that have been smashed, are missing body parts or that are incomplete. The best way to preserve insects in in alcohol. A container or jar with the insect inside will also work.